Rocky Road Brownies

I was fortunate enough to grow up within driving distance of the Happiest Place on Earth.  I was even more fortunate to have the chance to work during my teen years.  One of the best perks of the job was the fantastic discount on all things bought within the Park … including the homemade candy and fudge!!  Along with my dear friend Josh, I would trek down Main Street to the Candy Palace and buy a tray of freshly made Rocky Road.  Oh, chocolate!  Oh, marshmallows!  Oh, walnuts!  This was heaven in a plastic wrapper and, as we all know, there are no calories in anything consumed at the Happiest Place on Earth (wink!) so we happily indulged.  Frequently.

rocky road batter in pan

It has been years since I had the benefit of that discount, but when I had an opportunity to celebrate Josh’s birthday with him, I couldn’t resist a dessert that would bring back those Oh-So-Magical memories of Main Street.  Hello, Rocky Road Brownies!!  Come to mamma!

rocky road ingredients

The original recipe called for an 8 x 8 brownie pan, something which my kitchen seems to be perpetually lacking.  Perhaps this is because instead of spending the $8 on a new pan, I instead opt for doubling the recipe and using a 9 x 13 pan or my Baker’s Edge pan.  Because, really, why buy another pan if you could just make more brownies?  That’s my kind of logic.  If you don’t feel the need for, oh, let’s say, 32 brownies, feel free to use the original measurements.

brownies baked in pan

Let me tell you a couple things about cooking with marshmallows:

(1)  They are so much yummier than you remember!

(2) Ignore the entire list of ingredients on the package.  You will be happier this way, I promise.

(3)  Do not attempt to be creative, like me, and fold half of them into the middle of the brownies in an effort to evoke gooey marshmallow-iness in every bite.  Despite my best efforts, the Battle of the Missing Marshmallows was lost to the fiercest of competitors, Science.  As you can see, the hot oven and the extended cooking time reduced the marshmallows to nothing but air pocket shells of their former selves.  Vanishing like your right sock in a hot dryer.  Such a casualty is the risk one must take when fearlessly experimenting to achieve greatness.  And trust me, greatness was had!

missing marshmallows

Also, consider this your official warning: Never underestimate the power of Martha Stewart.  Never.  I had expected a mediocre brownie base that was nothing more than a carrier for the oodles of marshmallows, chocolate chips and walnuts.  But that was underestimating Martha.  A fatal mistake.  This brownie base was fudgy, dense, insanely chocolaty and beyond delicious.  My boyfriend actually asked if I would make just the brownies again without all the “stuff on top.”  Consider yourself warned, this may become your new go-to brownie recipe.  It certainly is mine!

rocky road brownie up close on rack

Rocky Road Brownies

Yield: 32 brownies

2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 bags (18 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
1 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
2 cup chopped walnuts**

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan or a Baker's Edge pan.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine butter and 2 cups chocolate chips. Melt in the microwave on high power for 3 to 5 five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Into the chocolate/butter mixture, stir in sugars and salt. Once combined, stir in the eggs and then the flour, stirring just until combined. Mix in 1 cup of the walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, remaining chocolate chips and marshmallows. Bake until the marshmallows are puffed and beginning to brown and the chocolate turns shiny, roughly 5 to 7 minutes. (If you like your marshmallows extra toasty, turn on the boiler of your oven and use that for the last few minutes. Be sure to turn the pan every minute or so to ensure even browning.)
- Remove from oven and cool completely in pan. Remove with an offset spatula. Cut into 32 squares.

* Feel free to try out whole wheat pastry flour if you are so inclined, though I can't promise that it will make any difference to the level of sinfulness of this indulgent dessert.
** Rocky road just isn't rocky road without walnuts to me, but if you aren't quite as loyal to your nut choice, give it a try with peanuts, cashews or pecans.

33 Responses to “Rocky Road Brownies”

caitlyn — May 31, 2009 11:12 pm

Your brownies look delicious! I tried this recipe awhile back and really liked it!

These are real beauties! Thank for the tips along the way.
    I never made these before but it looks like somehting I might make for next weekend.
    BTW, this pans is working for you? I think you posted before about having problem with swirling cheese brownies?

• kate replied: — June 1st, 2009 6:39 am

Nurit – Despite the unsuccessful swirling of the cheesecake brownies, I do actually love the Baker’s Edge pan! I think it wasn’t really suited for proper swirling because you have less room to swirl the batter together. However, for regular brownies, crumbles, bars of any kind (even lasagna, I’ve heard) it does wonders! Every piece is literally an edge piece. The entire batch cooks more evenly and as a side bonus, it helps get all the brownies cut to the same size at the end. Definite thumbs up!

Pearl — June 1, 2009 7:06 am

ooh i love the brown marshmallows!

nina — June 1, 2009 10:52 am

I am not a brownie fan…just too sweet for me, but oh boy this picture captured me and so I’m here commenting on this deliciousness!!!!
    Bookmarked!!!

MyFoodRocks — June 1, 2009 1:51 pm

That is one big filly dessert! Love the idea!! Great photos, Thanks!

Kate @ Savour Fare — June 1, 2009 5:46 pm

These look amazing and totally craveworthy! I grew up near Disneyland too, and loved that fudge shoppe!

amy — June 2, 2009 12:48 pm

i know someone who would totallllly love this! thanks:)

oneshotbeyond — June 2, 2009 1:09 pm

exciting looking brownies…love the way they sound.

Olga — June 2, 2009 10:07 pm

oh good lord! these look amazing. I’ll have to remember to use the topping next time I make boxed brownies ;)

Kerry — June 3, 2009 9:52 pm

No luck folding in the marshmellows? Try using that bag of dried out marshmellows in your cabinet. I know it will work in s’more pancakes without vanishing.

hannahandchelsea — June 4, 2009 12:08 am

we are making these tonight!!!!

I’m dying! These look TOOO GOOD!

lizard — June 4, 2009 11:04 pm

If you’d like to incorporate the marshmallows, a common method I’ve seen with other Rocky Road brownies is to use 1/2-3/4 of the batter for a bottom layer, partially bake that portion and then mix the remaining batter with the toppings and pour over the top. The thinner top layer takes less time to bake and so the marshmallows do not disappear in the process and you get a gooey center.

limeinthecoconut — June 7, 2009 12:19 pm

Made these for a bachelorette party and the ladies went WILD!!! I had one batch of the Martha brownies with no Rocky Road (boring but some people no likey nuts!), and this version. The Rocky Roads were down in 20 minutes max!

Thanks for the pics and the great recipe :)

BTW I havce seen this pan in previous posts and bought one and loved it! I highly recommend for any baker out there.

Lou — July 5, 2009 7:52 am

They look great!

Lisa — July 7, 2009 5:32 am

Oh gosh, they look divine! What a great idea to combine brownies with rocky road, hmmm I’m going to try this soon!

Aerin — July 11, 2009 1:04 am

Those-look-fan-tastic!
    I have 3 young children with birthdays only a couple weeks apart so to get me to even look at anything containing sugar is really saying something. Maybe I’ll whip those up instead of another cake.

Karly — September 27, 2009 5:20 pm

Oh, wow. My marshmallow-lovin’ kids would go nuts for these!

Sarah — January 5, 2010 1:48 pm

The baker’s edge pan would not work at all in my house, everyone fights for the middle pieces!

21. Pingback: Cook with “A Dash of Sass” this Summer | With Josh

Courtney — January 11, 2010 10:40 am

I had the hugest chocolate craving of my life last night so I made these…..BREATHTAKING..I felt like I was committing some crime they were so dang good. I am so in love with your blog, my family and I have made many of your recipes & they are all wonderful! Thanks so much for providing some healthier alternatives to otherwise gutbusting foods! Ps…watched your interview with Josh…you should seriously think about auditioning for that show The Next Food Network Star…because you can work that camera girl!

• kate replied: — January 11th, 2010 11:05 am

Courtney — Thank you! You are too sweet! So glad you liked the sinfully delicious brownies and are enjoying the site.

A-Man — January 20, 2010 11:05 am

Wow! These rocky road brownies look awesome.
    Thank you for the directions.

bye

justcooknyc — April 14, 2010 12:31 pm

i tried making some rocky road fudge last week and it was a little disappointing. maybe these bars can come to the rescue!

Jessica — June 19, 2010 7:07 pm

I made these last weekend and everyone loved them. Oh so good! :-)

P.S. I am novice baker…any tips on how to cut the brownies without the marshmallows sticking to the knife? Mine were a little messy and not as beautiful as yours, but nonetheless they were scrumptious!

Sher — January 2, 2011 1:26 pm

hello,
    just wanted to know if you could make these in white chocolate? If so, does it follow the same recipe?? I know white chocolate is a bit sweeter

• kate replied: — January 2nd, 2011 9:55 pm

Sher — I’ve never made these using white chocolate but I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t. Perhaps you could use the semi-sweet chocolate chips for the batter and then use white chocolate chips for the top. Feel free to give it a try. Report back and let us know how it goes!

jenna laughs — May 30, 2011 1:45 pm

I just made these and they are fabulous. I found you through a Google search for “rocky road brownies” and I’m glad I did!

Angela — June 5, 2011 3:33 pm

Kate, I ran across this while looking for an easy twist on regular brownies. Thanks for the idea!! I created some using a box brownie mix and noted your blog in my post. Thanks again!!
    -Angela

Lauren — December 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey Kate!
    what kind of brownie pan is that? It looks perfect for cutting them after they come out of the oven.

Dee — November 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Made these last night, and they are amazing.