The Best Turkey Burger & Grilled Veggies + Video
Quick — Name the number one preconceived notion about turkey burgers … 3 … 2 … 1 … you said they are dry and have no flavor, right? This ingenious recipe from Cook Yourself Thin is going to convert you into a lifetime turkey burger lover. I promise. I was never a big turkey burger fan because they generally tasted like dried out sawdust. This recipe incorporates diced green chilies in the burgers which not only keep the burgers profoundly moist (even if you over cook them!) and but also give them a flavorful kick in the behind!
No joke, I’ve eaten these burgers three times in the last two weeks. They are just that good! When I was asked to whip up a recipe for an interview segment on WithJosh.com, these turkey burgers were the first thing that came to mind. Yes, you read that right … an interview segment! My first interview! Cooking up the burgers was a blast and the best part was that we got to eat all the leftovers.
Last summer I had a far-too brief love affair with grilled summer squash and I’ve been eagerly waiting for an opportunity to rekindle our summer romance. Grilled zucchini and yellow squash make the perfect side dish for this ridiculously moist turkey burger. The veggies are terribly simple — slice the squash and then toss with olive oil and your favorite herbs (fresh if you have them, or dried if you don’t). I have used an herb de Provence mix, an Italian blend and even my own creation (dried dill, basil and thyme), but you can use whatever herbs you enjoy. Grill the veggies until they begin to char on each side. Watch them carefully because they can burn pretty quickly.
The burgers couldn’t be simpler. Ground turkey, diced green chilies (you can find these cans in the Mexican section of your grocery store), salt and pepper to taste. Top with pepper jack (for added spiciness) or provolone cheese. Serve on whole wheat buns (a homemade recipe is coming up soon!!) with slices of perfectly ripened avocados. Delicious. It will make you a turkey burger convert for sure. Here are the video instructions (My first cooking demo! Yikes!) for this fantastic recipe.
The Best Turkey Burger
Yield: 4 burgers
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1 pound ground turkey
1 can diced green chilies, drained
a few pinches of kosher salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste
5 whole wheat hamburger buns
2 ripe avocados
5 slices pepper jack or provolone
- Preheat your gas or charcoal grill (or grill pan).
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, green chilies, salt and pepper until well mixed.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into five patties, approximately 3 inches in diameter.
- Brush the grill or grill pan lightly with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray. Place the patties on the grill. Grill until cooked through, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- A few minutes before removing the patties from the grill, top each patty with one slice of cheese. Close your grill or cover your grill pan to melt the cheese.
- Place each patty in a warmed bun and top with sliced avocado. Serve warm and with a side of grilled summer vegetables.
Adapted from Cook Yourself Thin