Italian Sausage & White Bean Stew
People, I have to apologize in advance about this dish. I have been making this bowl of deliciousness every week for the past month and it’s taken me this long to share it with you. I’ve been a recipe hog. If we were in kindergarten I’d be given a time-out for not sharing. Don’t worry, my guilt over keeping this truly perfect weeknight fall/winter dinner recipe to myself is punishment enough.
I hope that after diving into a bowl of this warm, comforting Italian stew you will find it in your heart to forgive my selfishness. If that isn’t enough, hopefully after you discover that it takes literally 30 minutes to make this entire, one-pot meal (30 minutes including the time it takes to chop the onions and the peppers!!) you will begin to understand why I’ve been making it every week. If even that isn’t enough, I suspect that after your family begins to ask for this stew every week without fail, you will come back and thank me.
My hesitancy over making Italian food has been well-documented, but this dish is exactly what I’d imagine an Italian version of chili would taste like. Chopped onions, bell peppers and garlic, tossed with sweet Italian sausage, crushed tomatoes and soft white beans. It’s fast. It’s easy. It’s insanely delicious. In short, it’s perfect for a busy fall or winter evening. Oh, did I mention that it’s also healthy? Yep, the stew is loaded with complex carbs from the white beans and lower-fat turkey sausage makes this a guilt free meal you can feel good about making for your family every week.
Italian Sausage and White Bean Stew
Yield: 4-6 servings
Cook Time: 20 minutes
12 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed or stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Italian blend spices*
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large saucepan or high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the pan.
- Add green peppers and onion. Saute until soft. Add minced garlic and quickly saute. Be careful to continue stirring to avoid burning the garlic.
- Remove sausage casing and tear sausage into small pieces. Add sausage to pepper and onion mixture. Cook until browned and crumbled, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add beans and tomatoes. Add spices. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly warmed and thickened.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, crusty bread or fresh basil.
* Feel free to substitute an Italian blend of spices for the basil and oregano if you don't have those individually.
Adapted from Cooking Light