Italian Sausage & White Bean Stew

People, I have to apologize in advance about this dish.  I have been making this bowl of deliciousness every week for the past month and it’s taken me this long to share it with you.  I’ve been a recipe hog.  If we were in kindergarten I’d be given a time-out for not sharing.  Don’t worry, my guilt over keeping this truly perfect weeknight fall/winter dinner recipe to myself is punishment enough.

Italian Sausage Stew

I hope that after diving into a bowl of this warm, comforting Italian stew you will find it in your heart to forgive my selfishness. If that isn’t enough, hopefully after you discover that it takes literally 30 minutes to make this entire, one-pot meal (30 minutes including the time it takes to chop the onions and the peppers!!) you will begin to understand why I’ve been making it every week. If even that isn’t enough, I suspect that after your family begins to ask for this stew every week without fail, you will come back and thank me.

chopped bell pepper

My hesitancy over making Italian food has been well-documented, but this dish is exactly what I’d imagine an Italian version of chili would taste like. Chopped onions, bell peppers and garlic, tossed with sweet Italian sausage, crushed tomatoes and soft white beans. It’s fast. It’s easy. It’s insanely delicious. In short, it’s perfect for a busy fall or winter evening.  Oh, did I mention that it’s also healthy?  Yep, the stew is loaded with complex carbs from the white beans and lower-fat turkey sausage makes this a guilt free meal you can feel good about making for your family every week.

italian stew in pot

Italian Sausage and White Bean Stew

Yield: 4-6 servings

Cook Time: 20 minutes

12 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed or stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon Italian blend spices*
Olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

- Heat a large saucepan or high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the pan.
- Add green peppers and onion. Saute until soft. Add minced garlic and quickly saute. Be careful to continue stirring to avoid burning the garlic.
- Remove sausage casing and tear sausage into small pieces. Add sausage to pepper and onion mixture. Cook until browned and crumbled, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add beans and tomatoes. Add spices. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly warmed and thickened.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, crusty bread or fresh basil.

* Feel free to substitute an Italian blend of spices for the basil and oregano if you don't have those individually.

Adapted from Cooking Light

29 Responses to “Italian Sausage & White Bean Stew”

Milena — October 10, 2009 7:33 pm

I needed a quick dinner tonight and made this recipe using cranberry sausage that the local butcher had. What a hit!! I came together in no time and I had everything in the house but the sausage. This is going to be part of oureveryday meals, thanks for the super easy delish recipe!!

CaSaundra — October 10, 2009 7:57 pm

I am almost 100% Italian, but even if I wasn’t this would still sound amazing! And easy, which makes it even more appealing :-) I just bought some Spinach and Asiago Chicken sausage that would give this a nice kick! Thanks!

Frenchie — October 11, 2009 2:06 am

The day I need a hearty, comforting meal this is what I will be making. I am really hoping that I need one of those soon, I want to eat this as soon as possible.

CaSaundra — October 11, 2009 7:13 am

P.S. – Sorry, forgot to tell you great post!

Mary Lynne — October 11, 2009 11:15 am

Hum…I think I know what we are having for dinner on this cold Midwest Sunday afternoon…

• kate replied: — October 11th, 2009 11:20 am

Milena — I’m so glad you liked it! The cranberry sausage sounds fantastic. I’ll have to keep an eye out for something like that in my local market.

CaSaundra — Spinach and Asiago sausage …. yummm!! Let me know how it turns out. I’m sure it will be delicious. I’m actually thinking of experimenting with wilting some fresh spinach into the stew the next time I make it. I think the flavor combo will work very nicely.

pannybear — October 11, 2009 5:55 pm

kate – I am off the store to buy the sausage! We’ll be having this for dinner tonight….REALLY! By the way, I loved the Kindergarten reference, although time-outs in my classroom are reserved for more serious offenses, like physical harm! :o )

Mary Lynne — October 11, 2009 7:30 pm

Ok, I made it for dinner and not even 1/2 way through the first bowl my hubby said I can make this again soon!! We loved it! Thanks and keep the comfort foods coming!

Joan Nova — October 13, 2009 7:32 am

Came to you from the refrigeratorsoup site and am very impressed with a dash of sass. Great photography and a well done blog.

• kate replied: — October 13th, 2009 10:21 am

Joan Nova — Thanks so much! You’re too sweet! I’m glad you found the site. Enjoy!

Knit With Chopstix — October 13, 2009 10:19 am

Thanks for the recipe! I found it yesterday, made it for dinner, and it’s come to work with me for lunch today. Delish!

YADIRAMAMA29 — October 18, 2009 11:36 pm

THANKS FOR YOUR SITE. I L O V E ALL YOUR RECIPES.YOUR SITE IS FABULOS.

Bernadette — October 20, 2009 4:53 pm

This is the second time I’ve made your recipe this month, and this time I’ve doubled it for the coveted left-overs! Spicy Italian Turkey is my sausage of choice and it’s become infamous already. Thanks SO much for posting this.

Lisa — October 21, 2009 9:05 am

WOW – I made this last night and it was great! So easy and quick, it will now be part of my regular rotation. I can’t wait for lunch to have the leftovers:)

Bernadette — November 25, 2009 7:49 pm

I really need to stop posting on this recipe, but WOW, AWESOME, THANK YOU! our market sells these amazing frozen sausages, 25 for $10, so this has become popular for potlucks, when we’re living out of the pantry – and some friends actually request it! the only problem is leftovers; no matter how much i make, there never are any. thanks again!

caitlyn — December 21, 2009 7:30 pm

I just made this today and it was delicious!!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

Jon R. — January 6, 2010 12:44 pm

This is a wonderfully quick and easy weeknight supper. Which is ideal for a family of four. Even my little ones liked it. My wife has asked for it again and we just had it two weeks ago. Thanks for the recipe and the great site. Love the pictures and love someone else doing the hard work to find the good recipes. Thanks.

16. Pingback: 10/14/10 Food & Activity Log « Blissful Bedlam

Nubia — October 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Um, can I just join the rest and tell you that this is AWESOME? Seriously, it smelled so good and it came together in like 20 minutes. I even bought the missing spices b/c the pictures were so good. My hubby was trying to find more bread to soak up the juices left on MY plate! That’s a good sign :)

Cary — November 4, 2010 7:24 pm

I rarely cook and I NEVER make anything from scratch but I made this stew and it turned out fantastic! I used great northern beans but other than that I followed the recipe as written. The success I’ve had with this recipe has giving me confidence to branch out and try cooking more. Thanks for the terrific recipe!

Emilio Osmundson — November 10, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks so much for this. This might sound weird, but I spent the first couple of years of my teenage lifein Naples, then travelled all over the world. Now I’m living in Australia, with my Chinese wife, and son we had whilst living inJapan! Truly international, eh? Anyway, I’ve been trying to rediscover the smells and tastes of my youth with some authentic Italian recipe like these, best I’ve found so far! Thanks again, I’ll see if I can add the feed to my google reader tonight, though my son usually does that for me!

20. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday 2011-Week 18 | All My Loose Ends

Angela — May 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks for this recipe. I made it for my family tonight and even my children loved it. It was delicious and easy and perfect for our not so perfect cold weather in mid-May. I added some swiss chard at the same time as the beans and tomatoes. Just wish I’d had some bread too!

22. Pingback: Sausage and Bean Stew | The Crepes of Wrath

Sabina Flowers — November 11, 2012 12:38 am

I made this for the first time tonight. My husband and I both loved it. I wanted a slightly more hearty meal – so I added diced sweet potato. It was great and very filling.

Jake — December 11, 2012 6:25 am

Just made this tonight, and it’s DELICIOUS! I like the other commenters’ ideas on extra things to add – I’ll have to play around next time, cause there will DEFINITELY be a next time! Quick, easy, delicious, and doesn’t dirty too much prep equipment – perfect for a bachelor like myself who doesn’t have anyone to help with the cooking and clean-up, but still wants good food. As an entree though, I’d say it made 2-3 servings, not 4-6. Next time I might double it so there’s plenty to freeze.

I checked the label on a bottle of Italian spice mix at the store some time back, and it said it contained basil, oregano, marjoram, sage, rosemary, thyme, and savory. So for anyone else with a well-stocked rack of individual spices, you can just throw in a pinch of each of those instead of buying a separate pre-mixed jar. This stew came out so flavorful that I didn’t even have to add salt! Though I’m sure the sausage had a fair bit in it already, haha.

Brandy — January 12, 2013 6:11 pm

We found this recipe on your site a few months ago… and it was a HUGE hit! This has been added into our reguar rotation of meals…. love love love it!

26. Pingback: menu plan monday ~ february 10, 2014 | Christmas Notebook

27. Pingback: From Pin to Plate: Italian Turkey Sausage and White Bean Stew - My Freckled Life