Pumpkin Pie Bites
I wish that I could take credit for these ridiculously cute, ingenious bites of pumpkin pie goodness. I can’t, but I can give credit to the brilliant Bakerella who is the creator of these too-cute-for-words mini-bites of deliciousness. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right? If you don’t know Bakerella yet, consider this your official introduction. Did I mention that Bakerella was the creator of the now-omnipresent cake pops? Oh yeah, she’s that good.
Starting a new job (and tackling a 90 degree learning curve) has left me exhausted and totally out of time for cooking, baking, blogging and all things fun. Luckily, this crazy-simple recipe takes almost zero brain power. I’m fairly certain I wasn’t even paying attention when I made these little guys and they still came out perfectly! I added some allspice, cloves and ginger to give the filling some extra zest. I suspect that these will become a quick standby at holiday parties and potlucks. Next time I’m going to serve these beauties with a little dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon. Come on, how can you resist that level of cuteness!
My obsession with mini-food has been well documented. I can’t believe I didn’t think of mini-pie bites before! These pack all the flavor and indulgence of pumpkin pie into a single bite-sized morsel. Plus, they have only a fraction of the calories of a full-sized slice of the real thing. That’s a good way to keep those holidays pounds at bay!
Yes, this recipe calls for pre-made pie crusts. Don’t judge. Sure, you can make your own pie crusts if you are feeling ambitious. But let’s face it, there are so many things that simply must be made from scratch during the holidays (Hello, 12 dozen cookies! An entire turkey! Gravy! Mashed potatoes! Green bean casserole!) let’s take a little help where we can get it.
Pumpkin Pie Bites
Yield: 24-36 mini bites
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 pre-made, ready to roll pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (or use nonstick cooking spray) a mini-muffin pan. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, carefully roll the pie crust with a floured rolling pin.
- Using a round cookie or biscuit cutter (approximately 2 1/2 - 3 inches diamater) cut at least 12 rounds out of each pie crust.
- Carefully press each round into the mini-muffin pans. Use your fingers to round the ends into a pie crust.
- Once all the muffin tins are filled with pie crusts, place the entire tray in the freezer while preparing the filling.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add pumpkin and beat to combine.
- Add sugar and beat to combine. Add eggs one at a time, beating each until combined.
- Stir in vanilla and spices.
- Remove prepared muffin tin from the freezer. Fill each mini-pie crust with filling almost up to the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden around the edges. Remove to a wire rack. Let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Adapted from Bakerella's Pumpkin Pie Bites