Mashed Rosemary White Beans

Meet my new favorite side dish.  In case I haven’t mentioned it lately, I’ve been a little short on time these days.  An elaborate side dish that requires lots of dicing and chopping and stewing is beyond my realm of thinking at the moment.  Give me something fast, deliciously creamy and oh, can it please be relatively healthy too?  Awesome.

smashed white beans from side

A simple side dish that is packed with protein, fiber and happens to be incredibly flavorful, this will quickly become a staple in your recipe arsenal.  The sauteed garlic and rosemary paired with the smooth, creamy white beans create a dish that will rival plain ol’ mashed potatoes any day.  I hate to say it, but this may be the mistress that breaks up the eternal marriage of Steak and Potatoes! Gasp! Oh, the horror!

white beans

For many years, I had a strong position against beans.  Didn’t like them.  Considered them ‘vegetarian food.’  Really couldn’t be bothered.  Within the past few years (perhaps since learning how to properly cook them) I’ve become a bean convert.  I don’t know what I was thinking all these years! Give me white beans or black beans any day of the week and I’m a happy girl.

smashed beans

This is a wonderful side dish if you are looking for a low-carb option to replace a traditional potato dish.  White beans have a mild flavor which is a wonderful complement to the garlic and rosemary and the texture can be as smooth and creamy as you want.  Even better, this recipe uses no cream or butter!  It’s olive oil based so everything in it is healthy and something you can feel good about stuffing your face with.

mashed white beans

Mashed Rosemary White Beans

Total Time: 10 minutes

2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini (white) beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed into small pieces (or a few sprigs of fresh rosemary)
1/3 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper

- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil, garlic and rosemary over medium-low heat. Saute until fragrant.
- Add beans and chicken stock. Increase to medium heat and stir beans. Continue to stir until beans begin to soften, approximately 5 to 8 minutes. Using a wooden spoon or a potato masher, mash beans until they reach your desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm!

23 Responses to “Mashed Rosemary White Beans”

Joanne — June 8, 2010 8:16 pm

I made a white bean dip recently that seriously rocked my world and since then I’ve been obsessed! I am definitely going to have to try this since I’m not the biggest fan of mashed potatoes!

CaSaundra — June 9, 2010 8:03 am

This does sound/look amazing! It would go great with so many things. I am definitely
    bookmarking this–thanks!

Keri (CA) — June 9, 2010 11:27 am

this looks wonderful…… and healthy.
    just the kind of thing I’m looking for to try and get back on track to eating appropriately
    THANKS :)

This is BRILLIANT!!! I wonder if other mashed beans would also be good? I think you’re on to something…

Can’t wait to try this!

sippitysup — June 9, 2010 2:08 pm

Consider this made! GREG

Lauren — June 9, 2010 6:06 pm

What a great substitute for mashed potatoes! Can’t wait to make this.

Pat — June 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Just finished making this as a side dish to our bbq because we didn’t have potatoes on hand to make mashed potatoes. What a great alternative!!! The only thing I changed was used veggie broth since I’m vegan. I think next time I will try it using fresh rosemary but overall outstanding! I paired this up with grilled veggies and Salmon burgers. Thanks for sharing!

• kate replied: — June 13th, 2010 9:35 pm

Pat — So glad to hear that you enjoyed the recipe! It’s a real keeper isn’t it? Some people in my house have actually declared that they prefer these to mashed potatoes!

Mrs.LNoble — June 17, 2010 10:12 am

That looks absouletly delicious! I am having a party soon and I think I would like to try this as a dip with crostini or with bagel chips. Can’t wait.
    Thanks.

~M — July 1, 2010 5:52 pm

This looks great; I love beans so much! Have you tried other beans like great white northern or garbanzo/chickpeas? What about doing half beans and half potatoes? Thanks!

maria vargas — July 10, 2010 4:04 pm

I can not wait to do this dish look great

Stacy — August 12, 2010 9:27 pm

These sound so delicious,I can’t wait to try them! Thanks for a quick and easy, healthy side!

Brandon — January 1, 2011 6:32 pm

Looks great! Chick Peas/Garbanzo Beans as we all know are pureed and doctored up a bit to create hummus, but they are not alone! Any type of bean can become a dip, or as you have discovered, a healthier(?) alternative to mashed potatoes. Certainly something to talk about over the dinner table, added protein as well!

13. Pingback: Rosemary White Bean « Fathead & Friends

Emma — April 5, 2011 5:24 pm

Yum, I made these beans for dinner tonight with lots of fresh rosemary from the garden. Alongside some rosti potatoes and roasted vegetables it was a perfect meal! Thanks for the recipe I’ll definitely be making it again.

Nicole — April 13, 2011 7:46 pm

I was looking for a substitute for mashed potatoes for a new diet and WOW!!!! These are AMAZING!

Jamie — May 3, 2011 5:38 pm

We had these for dinner tonight and they were REALLY good. I was pleasantly surprised. My kids liked them too.

Ashley — May 19, 2011 1:19 pm

I made this for a dinner party last night…and had guests literally licking the bowl afterwards! It really is AMAZING! Thank you Thank you Thank you :)

Alecta — February 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I just made these for dinner, not knowing what to do with a can of white beans sitting in my pantry and instantly fell in love. Even without garlic, I just added a little extra boullion and rosemary and they came out perfectly. The texture is pretty good, they taste lovely – keeper for sure!

Julia Child's Wild Haired Bastard Son — February 24, 2012 5:52 pm

This is missing citrus. lemon rind and lemon juice. add roasted garlic in addition to fresh garlic for contrasting levels. And you will get more out of your rosemary if you mortar and pestle it with olice oil and add it towards the end.

MamaLisa — March 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Uhhhh . . . YUMMM! This was excellent. Topped it with a little flavored olive oil and it was fantastic. Thank you!

21. Pingback: 7-Day Detox: Day 4 + Alice Water's Ratatouille » bites out of life

Nichole — July 19, 2013 7:12 pm

These were delicious! I know this may seem like a strange question since it’s such a quick recipe, but do you think I could freeze these? How do you think they’d reheat? I am making and freezing meals for my brother who just had a baby, so I wanted to consider adding this recipe to my care package.