Carrot Raisin Bran Muffins

carrot raisin bran muffins

My apartment is overrun with black bananas.  For most folks, this would be a cause for concern, but for me it’s a gift that keeps on giving.  Black bananas lead to batches of naturally sweetened homemade granola bars, cookies and breads.  Looking for yet another way to use up these mounds of black bananas, I came up with a super moist muffin that is cross between carrot cake and a bran muffin.  Introducing Carrot Raisin Bran Muffins!  Ta-da!

carrot raisin bran muffins

These whole wheat muffins are made with whole rolled oats and wheat bran so they are loaded with fiber.  Packed with bananas and shredded carrots, you are secretly working on your daily fruit and veggie serving requirements while enjoying a delicious muffin.  Unlike most bran muffins, these are naturally sweetened with raisins and honey and packed with bananas and carrots, so they are moist, nutritious and perfectly suited for a breakfast or quick snack.

carrots

As I kid, I despised raisins.  They were hard little rocks packed into sticky cardboard boxes.  Gag.  I didn’t want anything to do with them.  My reintroduction to raisins occurred fairly recently when I tried some Thompson Select Organic Raisins.  Plumps, juicy, sweet little morsels that tasted more like candy than fruit, I was immediately hooked.  It turns out that raisins are nature’s perfect junk food.

batter in pan

Pairing the sweet bananas, the honey (which you can substitute with agave nectar or maple syrup depending on what you have on hand) and the raisins these muffins are sweet, but not overpoweringly sweet.  They are packed with nutrients from the carrots and whole grains and have enough fiber to keep you feeling full long after you’ve tossed out the empty wrapper.

muffins resting on pan

A side note, after lining your muffin tin with wrappers, give the wrappers a quick spray of non-stick cooking spray.  This will prevent the muffins from sticking to the paper too much.  You could also make these without the paper wrappers.  Just spray the pan with non-stick spray (or grease with butter) and pour the batter directly into the pan.

carrot raisin bran muffin

Carrot Raisin Bran Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

1/2 cup wheat or oat bran
1/2 rolled oats (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (fresh if possible)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup carrots, finely grated
1/4 cup agave nectar, honey or maple syrup
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line a standard muffin pan with muffin liners.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (bran, oats, flour, flaxseed, baking soda and powder, salt and spices).

In a separate bowl, combine the mashed bananas, eggs, vanilla and agave/honey/syrup. Stir until fully combined.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in grated carrots, raisins and nuts (if using).

Fill muffin cups up to the top with batter. Sprinkle with rolled oats.

Bake 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. After about 5 minutes, remove muffins from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.

22 Responses to “Carrot Raisin Bran Muffins”

Fallon — January 29, 2012 4:32 pm

I love adding oatmeal on top of baked goods, makes them much more appealing! These look delicious, I love raisins in bran muffins!

MyFudo — January 30, 2012 2:17 am

I have never tried bananas and carrots in 1 recipe. I am sure this will really taste great. Yummy muffins are my favorite!

I am a bran muffin junkie and I think I must have made them with everything under the sun except carrots! What a delicious idea, and great photos!

brighteyedbaker — January 30, 2012 2:18 pm

These look like really tasty, hearty, and healthy bran muffins! I’ll bookmark the recipe to try out!

Jenni — January 30, 2012 3:39 pm

These look awesome, Kate! I love muffins (a lot) and so anytime I can pack as many healthy things in them that I can is a win for me! These look delicious!

Mel (Sharky Oven Gloves) — January 31, 2012 6:14 pm

I’ve never tried making bran muffins, but these look delicious, so I think I’ll have to try them out. I’ve never tried the combination of banana and carrot together either, so that’s another reason (as if I needed one)!

Yum. What a combination of flavors here. I am definitely going to try this recipe soon.

pannybear — February 1, 2012 1:42 am

Wow…..all that good stuff AND flax seed to boot! You are one smart cook(ie)! Recipe is printed and I’m definitely going to make up a batch. :o )

Paula @ Spoons n Spades — February 1, 2012 3:07 am

I’m always looking for new ways to use up bananas and these muffins look fantastic!

Katie @ OhShineOn — February 1, 2012 7:12 pm

These look fantastic and the photography is amazing! I will definitely be making this soon… I have no wheat bran but I do have wheat germ!

Megan E. — February 2, 2012 1:06 pm

Katie! Today marks the final day of my 28 day cleanse (dairy, sugar and gluten free – among other things). This recipe is calling my name – healthy, full of fiber and tasty. I can’t wait to try them! THANK YOU!

jules @ bananamondaes — February 4, 2012 3:18 am

These look seriously healthy and delicious. Great shots! Suits my diet down to a tee. Thanks.

Steve H. — February 23, 2012 7:12 pm

I’ve been on a roll experimenting with cheesecakes, so I decided it was time for something healthier, and this recipe looked like the perfect one. I mean, c’mon people, no butter and no refined sugar? I’ve made these muffins twice now and the family loves them! And we keep all the ingredients around anyway, so they can be made on the fly with short notice. The second time I added blueberries and an extra banana. My family’s only complaint is that the batches are too small and the muffins are gone too quickly. This recipe is a keeper!

Kristin — March 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Thank you for this recipe…I made them today and they’re soo good :)

15. Pingback: Confession #69: It’s all about the balance… Carrot Raisin Walnut Bran Muffins

16. Pingback: A Delicious Remedy for Ravenousness | VegEdibles

Christine — August 1, 2012 9:48 am

These are delicious! Thanks :) I replaced the raisins with currants and the flaxseed with the same amount of wheat bran, and it worked! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for – had some black bananas!! AND I seriously needed a piece of carrot cake mixed with a slice of banana bread…lol…with a healthy touch :)

Lauren — August 22, 2012 8:43 pm

I want to make a bread like this – what modifications would I have to make for this recipe to become a tasty carrot raisin bran bread???

• kate replied: — August 23rd, 2012 3:00 pm

Lauren — I haven’t tried this as a bread yet but it would translate to a quick bread pretty easily. I’d say to put it in a greased and lined loaf pan and bake for about 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees. I haven’t tried this out but it should work just fine. Let us know if you try it out.

Mansi — January 10, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks for the lovely recipe..

I was wondering if I can replace wheat bran with wheat germ or whole wheat flour??

Thanks

Lee — September 7, 2014 11:32 pm

I just wanted to testify– this is a great recipe! I recently experimented with it and made it gluten free, or at least, without the wheat germ and wheat flour. Instead- of wheat germ, same amount of oat germ, and instead of the ww flour: 1/2 cup of oat flour and 1/2 cup brown rice flour. Also of note, for healthier muffins, used old rolled fashioned oats instead of rolled quick oats. (Was a little skeptical to try this at first, thinking they would still be too chewy and tough after baking…) I use raw honey also. The verdict: I could not tell a difference at all in taste regarding switching to a guten free flour! Healthy and yummy!

Lee — September 7, 2014 11:36 pm

Oops! Above: did NOT use OLD rolled old fashioned oats! he he…just didn’t edit my comment before submitting!