Spinach Artichoke Dip

I don’t think I can remember a time when some form of spinach artichoke dip didn’t appear on every restaurant menu.  It seems to have become a standard American pre-meal munchie, a quintessential appetizer.  Not that I mind.  Who doesn’t love the thought of eating something healthy (spinach and artichokes) wrapped in mounds of cheese, butter and heavy cream?

Spinach Dip

This recipe is a healthier version of the restaurant stand-by that you can feel good about serving to friends and family.  Instead of pounds of butter and heavy cream, this recipe uses reduced-fat sour cream and ricotta, plus it ads in some cannellini beans (my current favorite) which ups the fiber content.  Truly a perfect party dish, this guilt-free dip lets you save some calories for where it counts … dessert!

unbaked spinach dip

There are two ways to make this dip.  You can either puree all the ingredients together at once, which will give you a completely smooth consistency, or you can reserve about half of the artichoke hearts, loosely chop them and mix them into the rest of the pureed ingredients.  This is totally up to personal preference.  We like a slightly chunkier dip around these parts so I generally opt for reserving some of the artichoke hearts.

Clearly, this dip is screaming for some perfectly salted tortilla chips, but if you really want to be a considerate host you can serve it with celery, endive spears, broccoli or any other low-calorie dipping veggies.  Your waistline (and your friend’s waistlines) will thank you.

spinach artichoke dip

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Cook Time: 30-45 minutes

2 cups canned artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 tablespoons sour cream (reduced-fat)
2 tablespoons ricotta cheese (reduced-fat)
4 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine 1 cup artichoke hearts, beans, spinach, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, sour cream, ricotta, olive oil and garlic in a food processor or a large bowl if using an immersion blender. Pulse until almost smooth.
- Loosely chop the remaining artichoke hearts until chunky. Stir into the pureed mixture.
- Spread the mixture into a shallow dish (8 x 8 works just fine). Top with the remaining 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan.
- Bake for approximately 30-45 minutes or until bubbly. Turn the oven to broil for the last 3-5 minutes to brown the cheese on the top.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips or veggies.

11 Responses to “Spinach Artichoke Dip”

Cate — November 28, 2009 11:52 pm

I LOVE this stuff, but my usual recipe is full of mayo and really unhealthy. I can’t wait to try this version!

Katerina — November 29, 2009 2:54 am

I love the look of this especially with the chunky artichokes! I bet this would also be delicious and healthy with some reduced fat goat cheese.

LyB — November 29, 2009 9:38 am

I recently tasted the most fabulous artichoke dip but it was also fantastically fattening. This looks like a great alternative, I can’t wait to try it. :)

Organic Baby Clothes — November 29, 2009 2:17 pm

I love spinach-artichoke dip and make it for parties, potlucks you name it. I’m intrigued by this healthy version and will definitely give it a try next time.

Thomas Andrew — December 4, 2009 11:05 am

My girlfriend loves Spinach-Artichoke dip. I think I am going to surprise her tonight by making this. Thanks for the recipe.

CaSaundra — December 4, 2009 12:53 pm

Believe it or not, I’ve actually never tried spinach artichoke dip!! I plan
    on putting it on my Christmas menu and serving it with homemade cumin pita chips! :-)
    Love the lightened up version! :-)

Thomas Andrew — December 6, 2009 1:25 pm

I made this last night. My girlfriend was in love! Thanks so much.

justcooknyc — December 9, 2009 11:26 pm

i already love spinach artichoke dip, but i really love it browned on top the way it is in your photo. yum!

jordaam — January 24, 2010 4:30 pm

I just made this dip after weeks of dreaming about it. I will say that it is delicious. Next time I might decrease the amount of sour cream and make up for it in ricotta because I thought it was a little too tangy for my tastes. When I went to make this with my immersion blender I was thinking, “this isn’t going to be good- there can’t be enough liquid for this to blend together well.” I was clearly wrong. The texture was perfect. Thanks for this great dip!

ashleyhubbard — September 1, 2010 10:36 am

THIS IS AWESOME!! I was pleasantly suprised at how good this turned out. It is tasty and much lighter than traditional spinach-artichoke dips. The texture is right on. Coworkers and hubby (very skeptical of beans) loved it. I will be making this agian for the football game on Saturday.
    RRRRRRROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!

11. Pingback: The Greatist Table: 10 Healthy Holiday Party Snacks from Around the Web | Greatist